Saturday 27 December 2014

Asia Adventures: Day Four- The history of South Korea

The History of South Korea!

We woke up very early in the morning ready to start off the day with Korean congee at a place called Bonjuk in Myeongdong.


The congee porridge was not like the typical Hong Kong congee.  Rather than the rice being cooked and fully integrated, the rice was still in its original grain form and also the soup itself was very glutinous. To be honest, I personally like the Hong Kong congee more.

The Korean porridge came with side dishes of spicy turnip cubes and marinated shredded beef and of course kimchi. You can never have a meal without the kimchi!
The porridge itself also had meat and vegetables in it. One whole bowl including the side dishes cost around 8000 won which I would say is a reasonable for such a huge portion.
The waiter was very polite and I was very pleased with the service I received despite the cultural and language barrier.

After having eaten a feast, we were ready to take on the Gyeongbokgung Palace; It was great timing too because when we arrived the Korea soldier performance was just about to start. They were dressed in traditional Korean robes just like how Koreans would have been worn in the past, there was a lot of serious marching. I found it so hilarious because I noticed one guy was not in rhythm, everyone was marching and he was marching/skipping acros the sand..

We took some pictures by one of the trees in the Gyeongbokgung Palace.

  • Children (ages 7-18): 1,500 won

  • Adults (ages 19-64): 3,000 won



After the performance,  we headed towards the waiting area for the English guided tour.  I was very impressed with the tour, the tour guide dressed up in a traditional hanok dress too and was holding a cute little umbrella.

Later on we stopped off at Samcheong-dong at the famous cafe street where literally the whole street was full of unique quirky places to sit, the one we went to was called Korean Healthy Dessert Cafe.


The desserts were amazing!, that honey bread was so delicious 
This is another tourist attraction- Bukchon  Hanok Village



It was getting a bit dark and we got a bit lost but gladly we saw tourists helpers dressed in red. Thank God we found them otherwise I think we wouldn't have gotten back to Myeongdong. 

We noticed in the underground Myeongdong station, there were shops that were still open at around 10-11, we decided the day has not ended yet and so we strolled around for a bit only to buy tons of socks and I bought a shirt for 26000 won, which is on the pricier side for Korea but I thought I would just get it because the shirt was such good quality!



As we walked out of the station,  my sister saw the McDonald's advertisement of the bulgogi burger,  we all wanted to try it, I have to say it was the best burger that I have tasted from a fast food chain.
Next up is shopping in Hongdae!!


Keep updated and I wish you lovelies a Happy New Year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment